Thursday, April 26, 2018

Hello again,
     Yesterday marked the second anniversary of Wayne's death so I thought it a good time for a quick update on his bikes. I started in on the Hurricane about a month ago by buying a lift. I should have bought one years ago because it makes working on a motorcycle so much easier. I rebuilt the carbs, and removed the rear wheel to clean up and grease the bearings. The rear brake looked like something had peed on it as it was very rusty, but a good cleaning with a wire wheel and some spray paint and its good as new, almost.
    Of course once the Bonneville saw I was working on another bike the forks started leaking fluid out the bottom and onto the wheel so I had to tend to her for awhile, but shes all back together now and all is forgiven.
   Next I tried to put gas in the tank, it looked good as far as I could see and I was hopeful that it would hold because it would be next to impossible to replace. It didn't hold. Two pinholes started to seep gas almost immediately. I tried some of the putty to patch it to no avail so I needed to remove the tank to properly seal it up. This required extra care to not crack the fiberglass plus it had shifted a long time ago and the nut holding it on could not be gotten with a socket. After about an hour, success!

      The tank separated from the bike for the first time ever I'm sure. Funny how naked it looks without its tank on it. I bought the chemicals to coat the inside of the tank and will be tackling that soon, but as you can see in the photos, the sun is out and I have three running bikes that need attention or they will get jealous and break.
     This is Wayne's problem signing off for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment