Friday, June 22, 2018

June 22nd, 2018

      Well here I am again writing as Wayne's Problem with an exciting update. I got the Hurricane running last Sunday! What a fathers day gift from the universe.
      Since I last wrote I had completed the epoxy treatment to the tank successfully and it is not leaking at all. I put the carburetors back on. Replaced the plugs, plug wires, points, and condensers. Three of everything of course. I replaced the fork seals and cleaned up the front brake. I also did a few other odds and ends over the last couple of weeks and on Sunday I took her off the ramp and put oil in the engine, transmission, and forks. I checked my to do list and the only thing on it was "start her up".
     I called my friend Sean as I wanted him to witness the results. He has been a constant support in this process and spent a few hours in my garage listing to me prattle on about my latest issue on the bikes. So with my wife Angela and my kid Bobbie I started in. It went a little like this.




      For those of you counting it was 31 kicks till she roared to life. This seems like a lot until you realize she had last run in 1982.


      Next I went for the first ride up and down the street in front of my house. After she got going she starts in 1-3 kicks every time and runs very strong. About 30 minutes after I was done a thunder storm came on very suddenly and I like to think it was Wayne riding by to say hello and watch. I need to get new tires and dial in the timing and carburetor but it is so fun to show her off and she always draws a crowd. I have ridden her out to get coffee and tacos a few times this week and I'm going to get fat on all the bugs cause I can't stop smiling.
Feeling pretty good here.

Coffee date at See See's.

      A friend said "it's fun to be a steward of something so cool" and I like that wording. I am again able to talk about Wayne and be a steward of his memory when I share the story of this Hurricane and feel him with me when I ride.
   
Wayne's bike in front of Wayne's house.

1 comment:

  1. Home sweet former home lively photo,,,,as you stated Doug, I fully believe that dear Wayne-O as I called him, witnesses the mechanical feats that we do,,,in the mortal world. Dear Wayne, we love you as we enjoy today's mortal showmanship, proud hobby-ness,,,,in seeing your once ,,,,Pristine Gassey Problem unleashed onto local streets, for local eats.

    ReplyDelete